What We Do
General Club Overview:
RJWC is committed to supporting numerous area charities and non-profit organizations through hands-on volunteering as well as fund-raising.
Our Major Fundraisers:
Funds from these events are given annually to our selected recipients.
Lobster Boil: held the last Saturday in September since 1998, more than 1000 live New England lobsters are flown in fresh, between 1 and 1 ¼ pounds each. You choose the pick-up time; your dinner will be on time and ready! RJWC will cook, wrap, and have them hot and ready for you at the OPC drive-thru site. Order Form
“Haute to Trot” Kentucky Derbry Event”: an evening event that includes a strolling dinner, a silent auction, music and dancing.
“Spring Highlights” is our annual spring luncheon and shopping boutique, is usually held in March at the Royal Park Hotel, includes a gourmet lunch and great shopping with over 40 vendors and artists with the latest in new spring merchandise
Other Fundraising Activities
Art and Apples; we have a food tent where the club’s signature Apple Blossoms and Fresh Squeezed Lemonade are sold to help raise funds for the Paint Creek Center for the Arts as well as the clubs operating funds
Annual Christmas Auction, which raise funds for Rochester Area Neighborhood House and Guiding Harbor
Emeritus Card Party, usually held in February at River Crest Banquet Center, is a fund raising event to benefit the Crittenton Hospital Auxiliary’s Camisole Fund which provides a camisole to their mastectomy patients after surgery. With strong support from the community, the Auxiliary, RJWC, and the Emeritus group, we have raised in excess of $23,000 over the years.
The Rochester Junior Woman’s Club Memorial Scholarship, offered through the Community Foundation of Greater Rochester, was established in 1994 to two assist seniors from Rochester Community Schools with $500 scholarships each. The recipients are selected based on their activities in community volunteerism and service during their high school careers as well as their overall grade point average.
Relay For Life; since 2001, RJWC members have had a team at the Rochester Relay to raise funds for the American Cancer Society.
Hands On Volunteering:
If all of the check writing didn’t keep us busy enough, we also provide countless hands-on hours to other local organizations including:
Dinosaur Hill Nature Center; including helping to decorate for Story Time with Santa and selling flowers for Daffodils for Dinosaur Hill.
Older Persons Commission, including helping serve meals at their monthly lunches and help our at special events
Paint Creek Center for the Arts, including host at their Exhibition Openings
Rochester Community House, helping host a dinner for the Rochester Community Kitchen
Rochester Hills Museum at VanHoosen Farm; including helping at the pumpkin carving station at their annual Stonewall Pumpkin Festival
Support To Other Area Organizations:
During the year, RJWC also supports other local organizations and events including;
“Barb’s Battalion”; bingo fundraiser for the Race for a Cure
Community Outlook Luncheon; sponsored by the Rochester Regional Chamber of Commerce and includes speakers from Rocheter, Rocheste Hills and Oakland Township.
“Luncheon on the Aisles”; fundraiser for Meadow Brook Theatre
Sunrise Pinnacle Awards; created by the Rochester Regional Chamber of Commerce as a way to honor area businesses and leaders for their innovation, success and contributions to the quality of life in the community.
The Women’s Fund of Great Rochester Luncheon; this annual event includes boutique vendors and a special speaker
And, Just For FUN!
Since RJWC doesn’t believe in “all work and no play” we do a few things just for the fun of it!
- Build a scarecrow, “Josie the Junior” as part of the Rochester Hills Museum’s “Scarecrows in the City,”
- Take cooking classes at Trevarrow, Inc.
- See local plays at Varner Hall at Oakland University, Meadow Brook Theater and Avon Players
- Attended the Meadow Brook Hall Holiday Walk and Luncheon
- Host a “Hands On Art Night” at Paint Creek Center for the Arts
- Host a monthly book club
- And, we end each year by celebrating with a lovely dinner in the Christopher Wren dining room at Meadow Brook Hall where we install our new Club President as well as our new club members and officers and present our year end club awards
- October 5, 2015Scarecrow building workshop 11-2 PM
- October 5, 2015Conservation dept mtg 7 PM
- October 5, 2015pre sale of Carson's Comm. Days booklets 12 - 2
- October 8, 2015New member meeting 7 PM
- October 9, 2015GFWC Great Lakes Region Conference (members only)
- RJWC to Celebrate 60 Years in the Rochester Community Posted on: Sep 13th, 2015
- Rochester Junior Woman’s Club is looking for New Members Posted on: Sep 1st, 2015
- It’s Been a Busy Year for the Rochester Junior Woman’s Club! Posted on: Aug 18th, 2015
- The 17th Annual Lobster Boil – You Plan the Party, The Rochester Junior Woman’s Club Will Cook Posted on: Jul 28th, 2015